I have an account with Godaddy and installed WordPress using there plugin. The landing page didn’t show up. I thought it might take some time for them configure everything which was strange. I hit the url on my mobile and it worked like charm but it was giving ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE on all browsers on my laptop.
After researching I found following which might resolve the issue:
- Check if the url is working on other devices. The installation should be good if it is working devices or network.
- Try switching to other network. Toggle between wireless/lan/home/office networks to rule out any firewall issues.
- Clear cache and cookies. Restart your PC/Laptop and check again.
- Check for any browser plugins or firewall settings which might be blocking WordPress.
Above solutions should work for most of the cases. However, in my case nothing worked and I was frustrated. That’s when I tried to trace the route of my request. Here is how I fixed my issue:
- Ran trace route for my wordpress url which went to UK and dropped due to which I was getting the no response error.
- Mac: traceroute mydomain.com/wp
- PC: tracert mydomain/wp
- Ran trace route for my domain which was trying to hit my localhost. This is the rootcause of the issue. I had added host entries in my local to point to my domain due to which the request was failing.
- Mac: traceroute mydomain.com
- PC: tracert mydomain
- Check the hosts file for any entry of your domain.
- Modify & comment if there is any entry referring to your wordpress domain.
- Save and check the url again. Hope this helps in resolving the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE issue.
Found this awesome blog with detailed instructions on how to debug the error.